Microsoft is ending support of the Windows 7 operating system (OS) in 2020. The end of support (EOS) date is January 2020 for Windows 7 Professional, and October 2020 for Windows 7 Embedded. To ensure that our customers have access to the latest security enhancements and best system performance, Illumina has built a Windows 10 upgrade solution that will be available for customers across all active systems.
- MiniSeq, NextSeq, and some iScan Systems
New software packages built on the Windows 10 OS have been developed for these systems. See links below.
- MiSeq and MiSeqDx Systems
These systems use Windows 7 Embedded and will be supported through October 2020. New software packages built on the Windows 10 OS are being developed for these systems. ESU licenses will be available mid-October, until the new software packages are available.
- Infinium Tecan and some iScan Systems
Microsoft Windows 7 extended security update (ESU) licenses are available for systems running Windows 7 Professional. New software packages built on the Windows 10 OS are being developed for these systems.
- HiSeq Systems
Microsoft Windows 7 extended security update (ESU) licenses are available for systems running Windows 7 Professional. Systems running Windows 7 Embedded will be supported through October 2020. At that time, ESU licenses will be available.
- NovaSeq, NextSeqDx, and iSeq Systems
These systems already use Windows 10 and do not need to transition.
- cBot and cBot 2 Systems
Network connectivity is not required for operation, therefore, Extended Security Update (ESU) licenses will not be provided for cBot and cBot 2 systems.
Windows 10 Benefits
- Enhanced security reduces the risk of data being compromised.
- Performance is improved, compared to earlier Windows versions.
- Windows 10 has increased stability and will continue to receive support and security updates. For details, see the Illumina Security page.
Anticipated Availability of Windows 10 Upgrade
*Availability date is subject to change
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to prepare for the upgrade?
We recommend that you inform your organization's IT team regarding the upgrade to ensure rapid connection back to your network. A pre-upgrade checklist will be provided when the upgrade is scheduled.
- How do I know if my instrument is on Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Embedded?
In the Windows 7 operating system, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > System. Windows edition will show as Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Embedded.
- How do I get Extended Security Update (ESU) licenses for Windows 7 Professional?
ESU licenses are now available. For details, see Windows 7 ESU Prerequisites.
- How do I get Extended Security Update (ESU) licenses for Windows 7 Embedded?
ESU licenses for Windows 7 Embedded will be available mid-October 2020. We are updating this page as we get more details.
- Will my instrument be impacted if I stay on Windows 7?
While your instrument will continue to function normally, we encourage you to upgrade to Windows 10. Using an unsupported operating system increases the risk of exposure to malware. If your systems remain on Windows 7, you should take appropriate steps to minimize exposure.
- Who is responsible for upgrading the instrument?
When you are ready to upgrade your instrument, we will work with you to schedule a visit from an Illumina Field Service Engineer who will perform the upgrade.
- Can I upgrade the instrument on my own?
To ensure the best possible experience, the upgrade requires a visit from an Illumina Field Service Engineer.
- How can I get an upgrade?
We are rolling out the upgrades by platform. We will send a customer notification when an upgrade for your instrument becomes available.
- What is the cost to upgrade my instrument under a service contract?
There is no cost to upgrade instruments under a service contract. Exclusions apply to instruments requiring a PC or server upgrade.
- What is the cost to upgrade my instrument without a service contract?
There is a fee for the upgrade (varies per instrument).
- How can I get more information about this upgrade?
We are updating this page as we get more details, including information about specific system upgrades, new features, and scheduling.